Sunday, November 06, 2005

Worship and Mission

Lately I've been thinking a lot about involving people in the mission of God in the world.  To be brief, we in the church shouldn't extol people to do good deeds because its the Chrisitan thing to do, or to make themselves feel good.  Rather, they should do good deeds to be apart of what God is doing in the world.  To use Calvin's language, we extol them to be "participation in Christ"So, how can we expect people to participate in the mission of God in the world if we don't allow them to participate in the worship of God?

3 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Pooterhead said...

"So, how can we expect people to participate in the mission of God in the world if we don't allow them to participate in the worship of God?" I had to think about this for a moment.

Are you saying that people who do not know God, do not participate in the mission of God? My guess is that you'd probably agree that even the Babylonians participated in the misson of God.

I agree that we shouldn't try to get people to do good works just because they're Christians or because it feels good to them. I would hope that people do good works because of their relationship with Christ.

I admit that I frequently wonder about my motivations to help people. Is it because I am a Christian that I want to help, or is it because it feels good to do so (because it DOES!) Either way, the end result is a good end result. But being motivated strictly by feeling good about it seems somehow empty from a standpoint of worship and mission.

To conclude this, I'd say that people can participate in the mission of God, whether they know God or they don't.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Renee said...

who isn't letting people participate in the worship of God? nobody is stopping me. can you explain this more?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Pooterhead said...

Renee, your wonderful boyfriend Brian made the original comment in his blog. I just quoted from it. He can clarify it for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home